Hey there! My name is Restilyn Angeles and I would like to welcome you to my blog called Yumdesserts. This blog will be about creating desserts such as cakes, cookies, pies, and much more from scratch that I find online or from watching my favorite channel the Food Network from Comcast. To make my blog a bit different and interesting from other dessert food blogs that you usually find online I will try to recreate desserts from different cultures.
My passion for cooking began at the age of five years old because of my mother and grandmother who both love to cook. As a child I remember coming home from school and immediately rushing into the kitchen where I would find my mother and grandmother cooking dinner. I would beg them to allow me to help out which they would let me since they couldn’t resist my charm(…hehehe…). As a child cooking blew my mind away because it was amazing how you can combine different ingredients to create tasteful food. At the age of eleven my aunt introduce me to the world of baking. My first dessert that I baked was homemade chocolate cake with my aunt and my sister. While watching the chocolate cake being baked I thought it was awesome that I created a cake from scratch rather than using Pillsbury’s cake mix. Ever since that day I have been creating homemade desserts using recipes that I find online or from watching the Food Network channel.
For my first post I have decided to create homemade pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting since the season of Fall officially begins today.(yay my favorite season)
What you will need:
For the pumpkin spice cake
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 cup of room temperature unsalted butter
- 8 oz of room temperature cream cheese
- 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin all spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add the eggs one at a time then stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients into the mixture of sugar, oil, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
- Once the mixture is well combine pour it into the pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine the room temperature unsalted butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Add in the confectioner’s sugar.
- After the cake is done baking let it cool for about 5 minutes then add the frosting.
Step One: Combine dry ingredients
Step Two: Combine oil and sugar
Step Three: Add eggs then mix in the pumpkin puree
Step Four: Combine dry ingredients and the mixture of sugar, oil, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
Step Six: Let the cake cool for about 5 minutes then add the frosting.
this recipe is slightly adapted from Andie Mitchell (http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/10/10/pumpkin-spice-cake-with-cream-cheese-frosting/)